Friday, July 1, 2011

Homeschooling myself

"Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way."
— 
Lewis Carroll (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass)


For the last four months we have been 'enrolled' in this homeschool of special needs. I feel like I am trying to prepare for some kind of exam. My nightstand is full of books that I have started to read and jump back and forth between. I have spent so much time on the internet and on websites researching terms, therapies, research studies, trying to cram as fast as I can... I feel like I am working on getting my Masters or PhD in subjects that weeks ago I couldn't have even pronounced. 
I have a jumpstart on a lot of it since we are starting early intervention with Cruz but I still have so much to learn. I am so thankful for those of you that have leant advice, and actual items for therapy. I am not very good yet at having a structured time for specific occupational therapy each day and following an exact plan. I am hoping to become that organized. For now, I am just starting to see the world through a different set of lenses and realizing ways to incorporate therapy into our everyday activities that we are already doing.  
Sometimes it comes in the form of a planned activity, but the best ones by far are the completely spontaneous, organic, spur of the moment activities that just happen. I love, love, love to water the plants after dinner. Kids are fed, dad is home, the sky is beautiful, the intense heat lifts, and I can sort of release a little pressure, sigh and relax knowing that the most intense parts of the day are over. 
The other night I was watering the plants and Frank began to play with the hose. Jason mentioned that it had been awhile since we had bathed him and asked me to get some shampoo. I know I gave him a look like, 'seriously? you do know the fiasco that will ensue'. But we did, and the kids loved it. 

Cruz played with the water a little and when asked would touch the soapy part of Franks fur, but he thought it was hilarious that Frank was getting a tubby. 

We all ended up wet, if not from the hose, then from Franklin shaking. After he ran around and rolled on his back he actually looked dirtier afterwards.

The kids just watched him run back and forth sprinting around the yard.

We were all together, all wet, all laughing, and all getting bitten by mosquitos.
But, we ended the night with smiles, and some tubbys for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment